Monday, April 30, 2007

Total absence of grace. (4-21-07)

a pretty quickie.




Ane Brun.   Rubber and Soul (feat. Taitur).   Lyrics.

so, this song is a perfect example of why ane brun is suddenly gaining in popularity.
she's always had an above average voice, coupled with pretty ho-hum musicianship that has made for many casual fans but few die-hards. however, her recently released "duets" seems to have corrected what was missing.
in the case of 'rubber and soul' the addition of a male voice ends up being far more than just an aesthetic one...turning the song from a pity party (though i love the line "total absence of grace") into a genuinely sad, unspoken, conversation. the lyrics remain the same, but the meaning is so different. below are the lyrics, with the bold being Teitur's portion and the underlined portion being sung together.


Rubber and Soul

In my mind I`m crawling on your floor
Vomiting and defeated
Total absence of grace
Your reluctant voice
saying; you decide your own fate

But I wear rubberbands round my soul
They keep me from crawling
And these rubberbands round my soul
they keep me from falling

In my repeated dreams
You stare at me with an empty gaze
You turn your back on me
And you search for more intriguing days

Loathing this
Controlling this
Let me get a hold of this

So I wear rubberbands round my soul
They keep me from crawling
And these rubberbands round my soul
they keep me from falling

And then when you are not in my dreams
and not in my mind
but we are at the same place
at the same time
rubber no longer holds
the borders of my soul




sad.