Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thao with The Get Down Stay Down



Listen To "Know Better Learn Faster"
by Thao with The Get Down Stay Down

courtesy of their record label, kill rock stars.
Visit their website here:

Thao with The Get Down Stay Down is a really fun / musically interesting group that I just heard for the first time that I wanted to share.

On their MySpace Page (myspace.com/thaomusic) they describe their sound as follows:
"tangles of guitar, knots of singing, threads of beat and thump make a rope fit for hauling the heavy machinery of your day"
How can that not make you want to listen to them? Well, it does for me anyways.

What I love about this group is the use of a big variety of instrumentation but yet it all seems to fit in with their style. This is especially true with all the different stringed instruments layered into Know Better Learn Faster.

The different riffs they use are generally basic, but they are woven together in an intricate way. This gives the songs some complexity, and makes me want to go back and listen to them again so I can pay attention to the parts that I missed. This sort of thing, needing to experience it twice or more, scores big points with me in any work of art.

Something about the upbeat rhythms, the eclectic mix of instruments, and the lyrics / female vocals puts me in a good mood. Know Better Learn Faster just might have to go on my 'get out of bed in the morning' mix (along with Gabriel Rios' "Broad Daylight").


You should definitely check out more songs from Thao with The Get Down Stay Down, but I will leave you with one more song of theirs for your assigned listening...






"Fear and Convenience"
from their 2008 album, We Brave Bee Stings and All.
Click "Fear and Convenience" on their playlist.

Simple but fun guitar licks (especially the variations on the finger picking), also catchy, a bit upbeat, but subtly cynical lyrics which really resonated with me.
"I have seen fear and convenience
I have never glimpsed a romance"

Enjoy!

No comments: